Wednesday, December 2, 2009

a rabbit named samsara

Moments ago I finished reading The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo and I'm a little fearful that I might be about to engage in the book blogger equivalent of drunk dialing. This book made me cry. More than any book I've read this year, this one has gotten the biggest emotional response from me.

It's a simple story about a toy rabbit that becomes lost and found, lost and found, lost and found. He lives a doll's life, which means that he has many lives. In the beginning he is a vain, cold little rabbit, but he learns to listen to the stories around him and he learns to love.

I think this book has gotten me in my heart today, because I have been looking for a way back to the dharma. It is easy to draw the comparisons between Edward and Samsara. Edward becomes tired of each new life, of weathering each new loss. He is broken down, giving up, until a friend tells him "You disappoint me. If you have no intention of loving or being loved the journey is pointless."


Yes, loving, yes, that is the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment