Monday, December 21, 2009

book chat - winter break edition

Today is the first official day of my winter break from school. Before leaving on Friday I went through the shelves and randomly chose ten books to read while on break. I probably won't get all ten read, but I'm going to try. I was really hoping my new books would come before we left for break because I'm dying to read Kate DiCamillo's new book The Magician's Elephant. It didn't come, but it's ok because I've got plenty to read.

Here's what I have in my bag:

Summer Ball (2007) by Mike Lupica - I've recently bought a bunch of his books because Lupica seems like an author the boys should be really into. They haven't been going over very big, so I'm going to read one and see why.

Starting with Alice (2002) by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor - We have a bunch of these Alice books in the library, but no one ever checks them out. A classmate in library school once mentioned to me that she thought they were really inappropriate.

The Giver (1993) by Lois Lowry - Adults go crazy for this modern classic. I am looking forward to reading it.

Ghosthunters and the Incredibly Revolting Ghost! (2006) by Cornelia Funke - Same reason as the Lupica book. I bought a bunch of them and no one's checking them out. I want to see if I can figure out why.

Elijah of Buxton (2007) by Christopher Paul Curtis - Newbery Honor book and November Junior Library Guild selection.

Phineas L. MacGuire Erupts! (2006) by Frances O'Roark Dowell - KC3 honor book, which is a Kansas City Library award for books for third graders. I'm trying to read them all, even if it kills me. They haven't been that great this year.

Double Identity (2005) by Margaret Peterson Haddix - This is an author I am interested in. She is going to be writing the final 39 Clues book, and the kids are crazy about everything she writes. I think she might be kind of like Koontz for kids.

Anastasia's Chosen Career (1987) by Lois Lowry - I loved the Anastasia books as a kid. We are doing a major weeding of old books in the library and I'm trying to decide which of the old books to re-order (we judge books by covers, that's just the way it is).

kira-kira (2004) by Cynthia Kadohata - Newbery Winner from 2005 and it looks right up my alley.

Piper Reed: Navy Brat (2007) by Kimberly Willis Holt - Another 2009-2010 KC3 honor book.

Next Monday I will let you know how I'm doing. I hope I'm not too embarrassed.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, you remember that I read Elijah 3 times to three different classes, I love the way Curtis writes and the book can drag a little bit, but the end is so good and I teared up all three times I read it (heartwarming, not sad). I also liked Kira Kira but kind of sad. Let me know what you think about Lupica, same things happens at our library...

    Good to see you today.

    ReplyDelete