Friday, June 24, 2011

landslide

Well, I've been afraid of changing, 'cause I've built my life around you.

I've heard Landslide by Fleetwood Mac so often I can't really hear it anymore, but somehow this morning, I heard it as if for the first time.

And I heard it in my head as Ramona and I watered the plants. And I heard it as we walked around the neighborhood. As we ate our peanut butter sandwiches. And when she exclaimed how much she loved her milk and her blankie as we got ready for nap the song broke open and soaked me with meaning.

Well, I've been afraid of changing, 'cause I've built my life around you.

Ramona's going to preschool in August. And I'm scared. I'm scared she's too young and I've chosen wrong for her. I'm afraid she's a baby and they won't let her be a baby. I'm scared she won't be a baby anymore. I'm afraid, I'm afraid, I'm afraid.

I'm afraid because I've built my life around you.

Want to hear the truth? The you is not my Ramona. The you is The Way I Know You To Be . The World As I Know It. My fear takes stupid twists and turns. It follows a logical line, until you see it's built of bull. The truth is that I've built my life around things being just as I know them to be.

You are nearing a change, just as I am. And we don't even have to let go, it will let go of us. The landslide will bring you down.
Good luck, My Friends. Woooosh.

No comments:

Post a Comment