Sunday, March 14, 2010

book chat - Spring Break Edition

I have the good fortune to be on Spring Break this week. I will not be doing anything wild, but I will be playing with Ramona and reading a lot of books.

Just like last time, I have high hopes.

First, I really need to finish Sea of Monsters. I've been working on this one for awhile, but it isn't because I don't like it. I just haven't been reading. I know, shame.

After that:

The Viper's Nest (book 7 of the 39 clues) - I need to read it and get it back to school before my tires get slashed.

Gabriel's Journey - Book 3 of the Riding to Freedom trilogy.

The Georges and The Jewels by Jane Smiley - I am a huge Jane Smiley fan. She wrote a book called 13 Ways of Looking at the Novel which includes a list of 100 novels that she read or re-read to write the book. It isn't a list of the greatest 100 novels or anything, just 100 novels that she read. It's a great list and whenever I am at a loss for what to read, I read something from this list. That is, when I used to read grown-up books. Now I just wander around my library and grab something. But.....back to The Georges and The Jewels.....it's a middle grade fiction book that she wrote for horse lovers. I am a huge fan of horse stories and so are my students. I was a little unsure of it being appropriate for my 4th and 5th graders, so I'm going to give it a read before I put it out there.

Also,I'm reading a book called Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana. I don't count books on Buddism as "grown-up" reading. So, there. Also, I'm reading it really slowly because I'm trying to put the teachings into practice before moving on. I appreciate the practical nature of this book, because I have no interest at all in philosophy right now.

Nothing gets me back on track like reading a pile of books. I hope this time next week I have a backpack full of books to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment