Monday, February 22, 2010

book chat - jumping on the bandwagon edition

I started reading The Lightning Thief a few weeks ago, because I heard it had been made into a movie and all my students are wild for this series.

I had a very hard time getting into it and couldn't get past the fact that he Stole The Whole Idea from J.K. Rowling! He did.

Harry Potter = Percy Jackson
Wizards = Demigods
Hogwarts = Camp Half Blood
Hermione and Ron = Annabeth and Grover
Voldemort = Kronos

I'm going to stop, but really, I could go on.

So, I mentioned to my book club that I'm not liking the series and they all gasp. I give them the above mentioned problem of Rick Riordan being a copycat, to which one of the members says "So?".

Ahhh.....Nova the Librarian comes to a realization. Children's tastes are derivative. If they like something, then more of the same is exactly what they want. So, I went back to the book and tried again. And, now I'm hooked. I am now working on the sequel, Sea of Monsters and I'm sure that I will end up reading the whole series.

It's well written and it's fun. So what if it's a copy, it's a copy of something we all LOVED. And really, J.K. Rowling is a truly original thinker and we should all get down and kiss her feet for the gift she bestowed the world.

I used to be a book snob. I am now a reformed book snob. What do you get for being a party pooper, parade rainer? Read on, readers, read on.

No comments:

Post a Comment