Friday, January 1, 2010

10 years

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

Ten years ago I was getting ready to go away to college. I had been living at home, going to community college for awhile. I was only going to school an hour and 15 minutes from my parent's home, but for me it was a huge deal.

I had a boyfriend that I had been hanging onto since high school. He was very neat, but it was time to move on for both of us. At the time, I had begun to discover that I was good with kids. It was more of a suspicion and hadn't been tested yet. Now, I'm smart enough to realize that I could have been good at a lot of things.

Somehow, in the last ten years, I have become a real actual woman. I am married and have a child. I own my own home and I am a tenured teacher. I am an elementary school librarian,a dream that I was hoping to attain by the time I was 40. I have had a lot of good fortune.

On the side of regret,I wish very much that in the last 10 years I had traveled more.

But,back to the question: Where do I see myself in 10 years?

I will be 39. My daughter will be 9(!). My marriage will be 13 years old.

In 10 years,you will find me nurturing my family. In 10 years, I see myself having fun. I see myself deepening my practice. I hope to be able to cook a pretty good dinner in 10 years. But most of all, I see myself as a kinder person. This is my greatest hope for myself. Just being kind.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Isn't it crazy how much can change in 10 years? My class reunion is next summer and it's so strange to me to refer to things as "10 years ago..." I sound like my parents! But it's even stranger to think about what life will be like in 10 years. I'm sure we can never really imagine what's in store!:)

    ReplyDelete