Monday, April 2, 2012

precious weekend

A few weekends ago Ramona, my mother and I spent a weekend with my grandparents. It was a very good weekend. It was quiet and comfortable. Ramona was not shy as she sometimes can be, and we all just enjoyed the company of each other. My grandpa listened to my stories. He told me he enjoyed the time we spent talking. and that we just didn't do it enough. 

This was three weekends ago, and now everything somehow suddenly changed. He is sick and probably not to return to his home with my grandma. 

I'm naming my soon to be born son after him. He won't really understand who my son is. Somehow these things happen. 

But we got that very good weekend together. Somehow these things happen too. 

My friend tells me this is God working his way in my life. I nod, because yes,that good weekend was my good Karma ripening.

I have a little tree in my room with gemstones twirled around in it. It is called a Wish Fulfilling Gem Tree. It's a Tibetan Buddhist thing and there is a guided meditation that goes with it. Ramona and I talk about the tree, because she asks about it. She calls it a Christmas Tree and also a Gem Treat. I tell her how when I see the gems on the tree I am reminded of all that is precious to me. When I see the tree, on a low branch, I see that weekend.

My grandpa is alive, I feel very strongly about not eulogizing someone who is still alive, but I hear from family he is very different. But just three weekends ago he told me how he enjoyed the time we spent talking. And that we just didn't do it enough. 

1 comment:

  1. "When I see the tree, on a low branch, I see that weekend."

    Wow.

    I don't have any good words. It's beautiful that you got to spend a nice weekend together. I will forever remember the last time my dad saw Eli - we took him on a picnic and dad was throwing his lunch to the geese then scaring them away - it annoyed me to no end, Eli thought it was hilarious. I don't know why, but I had Eli quiz my dad on all of his favorite things. Eli won't remember that day, but I'll never forget a moment of it. It was a good day. Your post made me think of that day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete