Saturday, April 23, 2011

one thing leads to another

I had a headache for a year.

It was about stress, anxiety, tension, and hunger. But mostly it was about pain and not taking care of myself. About a month ago, I went to a chiropractor. I know people are skeptical about this medical practice. I am too. But after two weeks, I didn't have a headache. And I felt my body waking up. I started to stretch. I felt the word heal in my heart.

Last year I tried to take a yoga class, but it didn't work. It was too hard to commit to a practice that pulled me away from my family for two hours every week. I need all of my practices to create peace and comfort, not tension. And I wasn't learning a daily yoga practice, I was just leaving my house to do yoga for an hour and then going home to the place where not-yoga happens.

So, I signed up for 30 days of yoga with Marianne Elliott. This is an online yoga sadhana (committed practice) that lasts for 30 days. She teaches through videos and e-mails. I really emphasize the word teaches. This isn't like following along with a yoga DVD that runs through the postures as fast as possible. The purpose of this teaching is that when you are done with the 30 day sadhana, you will be left with a daily practice. You can just do yoga, every day, before the baby gets up, before the day begins. Just get up, and do yoga in your quiet room. This is something I can do for myself, that doesn't require taking anything away from anyone in my family. This is a comfort.

My intention is to heal and my commitment is to try every day.




1 comment:

  1. The best gift you can give your child . . . is to take care of her mother.

    ReplyDelete